Thursday, August 1, 2013


The Evolution of Style and Voice

     My writing is simple.  Way too simple.  I am not daring enough, and I don't always use my own voice, which I find did not change much over the summer.  I think that it
my writing has changed , but I believe what might be holding me back is a fear of opening up too much raw pain in my writing.  in the past all of my writing has been journal writing which my husband hopes I burn before I die.  There was a lot of angst in those journals and not a lot of joy.  I believe I used them as a tool to survive being a young mother without a lot of money or love in my life.  I spend a lot of time angry at my husband for the situation I found myself in.  There were pure moments of joy, but more often sadness.  I believe that the writing that we were asked to do this summer was based on wonderful exercises and prompts, but I feel that I may have holding back because I didn't want to let go.
     My style is in it's infancy and I need to make it grow up, I note that I have a terrible time with making sure that I am using consistent tense.  This is odd since I spend a lot of time instructing students in how to avoid confusing tenses in their writing.  As far as conventions of writing go, I don't have a hard time with spelling or vocabulary, but I do flounder a bit with grammar and that is very embarrassing for a teacher to admit. 
     Words just fly right out of me, but when I stop to look at what I have written it's disappointing and I judge myself harshly.
     I am going to make a huge effort to continue writing and blogging and getting over these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment